Unified Sick Leave Bank (USLB) Highlights
- Sick bank membership is automatic after eligibility requirements have been met. Please consult the BCPSOPE Master Agreement.
- The purpose of the Unified Sick Leave Bank is to provide sick leave to contributors to the bank after the member’s accumulative sick leave has been exhausted – more specifically to provide such leave from the bank in cases of personal illnesses. THIS LEAVE IS INTENDED TO PROVIDE LEAVE TO EMPLOYEES WHO WILL BE RETURNING TO WORK.
- Sick leave covered by the bank is for catastrophic illness, injury, or quarantine that makes an employee unable to perform the duties of his/her position. The bank may not be used for illness or disabilities related to the contributor’s family.
- Unified Sick Leave Bank benefits may not be used to postpone retirement.
- To receive benefits an application must be filed by the employee. To file an application, call the BCPSOPE sick bank committee at 443-410-4440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and complete an application form.
- Applications are reviewed by a committee consisting of members selected by BCPSOPE. The Office of Risk Management approves the request.
- Benefit to members of BCPSOPE vs. nonmembers: Should a second opinion medical review be necessary, BCPSOPE may assume out-of-pocket expenses for Organization members. Nonmembers will assume 100% of the costs.
- One year maximum Sick Leave Bank benefit during career with BCPS.